Monday, November 24, 2008

Mine is Better Than Oprah's

As the holidays approach, my email is flooded with great holiday must-haves. I have over 100 unread emails in my Yahoo inbox. I'm sure more than half of them are pushing some ultra new, ultra luxe product that I should consider giving for a gift or buying for myself.

And let's not forget Oprah's Favorite Things Show. Her annual opportunity to make us acutely aware of the difference between our bank accounts and hers. "Yes, I have this $200 sweater in all 7 colors." Hmph.

Here's the rant: Please, Oprah, give us a break. While I appreciate that proclaiming things as "your favorite" probably adds more money to your coffers, you must understand that you're peddling items that your average viewer can only dream of owning. For most of us, it's probably more likely that we'll get tickets to your "Favorite" show than to ever own most of that high dollar craziness. And yes, I know that one of your favorite things right now is the Post-It highlighter pen and that it only costs a couple of bucks, but who really wants to get that for Christmas?

So, in an effort to be a bit more realistic, I've decided to create my own list. Here is Kisha's Favorite Things (on a budget) List, in no particular order.

  • I am a huge fan of Barely There. Their bras and panties are so comfortable. They are made of this really soft, slightly stretchy cotton. They don't have a waistband to cut into your stomach after that really big dinner that you wish you hadn't eaten. I am particularly partial to the Invisible Look Bikini. On the company's website, they go for $8/pair, but the budget conscious Kisha shops on OneHanesPlace.com. There you can find them for $6.99. Yes, I know, that's not much of a savings, but that site has them on sale pretty often for $5.50 if you buy 6 pair or more. I watch for the sale and the free shipping and then I load up.

  • Since high school, I have been addicted to the Benetton sweater. They are classic wool sweaters that usually come in v-neck, crew neck, and turtleneck styles. They are a staple of my my winter wardrobe. I still wear some of the Benetton sweaters that I had in high school! Each year, a different set of colors are unveiled. The sweaters usually run in the range of $60, I think. It's been a very long time since I bought one at full price. I go to the Benetton outlet nearest me and rack up every year. Around March, all of the overruns and slightly irregular sweaters go on sale for $5.00 each. Sometimes I'll splurge and buy them when they are still priced at $15 or $20 just to insure that I'll get the color/style/size combo that I need. Check out your nearest outlet mall to see if they have a Benetton. You'll be glad you did.

  • My favorite lip balm is Alba Coconut Cream Lip Balm. It is highly moisturizing, and as its name suggests, it smells very coconutty. I think that's why I like it so much. It's $3.49 on the company's website and is similarly priced at your local Target store. I haven't found a price break on this one yet, but if I do, I'll let you know. This is a must-have if you experience persistently dry lips.

  • Now, this one has appeared on Oprah's list before, but it's been one of my favorite companies since I first discovered it back in 1999. I absolutely love all Philosophy products. I will not use anything else on my face. Recently, I've branched out and tried the Pure Grace shower gel and perfume. I order the the Make-Up Optional Skin regimen through the exclusive television offer. That offer is for a 90-day supply and it gives you the option of spreading out the payments. It also sends you a free gift with each shipment. That's how I get to try new things. I highly suggest it.

  • My favorite book this year is The Palace Council by Stephen L. Carter. It's a mystery thriller that makes you really think. I'd also suggest having a dictionary handy as Mr. Carter is a law professor and occasionally likes to throw out the high dollar word. Whatever book you might be wanting to add to your library, I'd suggest you start your search on Amazon.com. There, you can usually find a great used copy for an unbelievable price.

  • Musically, I'm in love with Jill Scott's Live in Paris cd/dvd. Again, check out Amazon.com. As of the time of this post, you could get a used copy for as little as $4.68 plus shipping.

  • For the kid in you, I suggest The Looney Tunes Golden Collection Volumes 1-6 on dvd. Everyone remembers the classic characters of Bugs and Daffy, and it's nice to be able to watch them on Saturday morning they way we did when we were kids. They retail for about $50.00. Again, check out Amazon. I just purchased volume 3 for $25.00.

  • Finally, if you are looking to get yourself a pet this year, my favorite place to look is your local animal shelter or rescue group. There you can find plenty of pure breed as well as mixed breed dogs. Most shelters also have a plethora of cats to chose from. Some even have hamsters, birds, and snakes. The adoption fee is usually pretty minimal (considering the cost of an animal at the pet store), and in most cases, the dog or cat is already up to date on its shots, has been spayed or neutered, and is microchipped.

And with that, the first annual Kisha's Favorite Things (On a Budget) List is complete. Hope you all enjoyed.

What is on your favorite things list? Please comment below and let me know what you would suggest as presents this year.

No comments: