Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Help, please.

Why in the world are people so reticent to ask for help? We're quick to pray for it and then watch and wait. But has it ever occurred to anyone that the help we pray for might be right in front of us?

Here's the rant: I have a young family member who has either withdrawn from or failed out of school. If she failed out, why in the world didn't she ask someone for help before it got so bad?! There are three people in our family that hold the same degree that she was trying to earn. All she had to do was drop an email or give a quick phone call. If she withdrew, what in the world was she thinking?! It makes me so angry to know that with just a year left before graduation, she will not be returning to school. Life is hard enough for African-American women, but to be one with no college degree?! Sigh.

She may read this post, and if she does, she'll know exactly where I'm coming from when I sit down to talk with her in a few weeks. If she doesn't read this, I'm going to need some advice on how to approach her. Anger and wisdom are usually not heard by young ears. The young ones usually think they know everything and don't want to hear what you have to say because "you don't understand me".

What do I say to her? Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

No comments: