Tuesday, August 31, 2010

They're still around? Really?!

In court tomorrow, I have a case involving a registered sex offender, his wife, a popsicle, a banana, and a protective order. The story is crazy and not one that I will go into here because the thought of it makes me want to gag.

Anyway, it has been reported to us that the defendant has said that if he is convicted tomorrow, he's going to "take out" everyone in the court room.

It has further been reported to us that defendant's brother is a member of the Klan and he plans to take action if his brother is convicted.

I was the prosecutor that convicted his brother back in January of violating a protective order. With this new piece of information, I will not be the prosecutor tomorrow.

When I reported this news to my boss, he nonchalantly gave orders to call in extra security for the day and went on about his business. About five minutes later, he came into my office and said, "I don't know if this is good or bad, but I just now get why this is such a big deal. Klan. African-American prosecutor. Now I get it!"

Here's the rant: The Klan?!!!! Really?!!!! They're still around? According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, yes, they are still around. No chapters where I live, but there are some very close. Just the threat of dealing with the Klan has me changing my plans. I'm parking behind my house instead of out front on the street. I'm wearing flat shoes to court tomorrow in case I need to make a break for it. Even though someone else in my office is handling the case, I'm still a bit concerned.

If mention of "the Klan" still has this much power to instill fear, you can only imagine the power the N word still has.

Some things will never go away no matter how much we want them to disappear.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why are you shocked? They never went anywhere they just decided to operate in a different way. Didn't you see the spike in website hits and interest after the current President was elected?

The Tildy Spot said...

I'm not shocked. I've never doubted their exsistence. It's hard to explain what I feel. I think the shock comes from it hitting so close to home...I guess.