Tuesday, December 16, 2008

25 Things

I was challenged to create a list of 25 random things, facts, habits, or goals about myself by my friend, Kara, on Facebook. The following is the note I wrote in response to her challenge.

1. I am eating mac & cheese for lunch, which is very odd for me. I don't believe that mac & cheese is enough to make a meal, and I'm scared of eating too much starch - which is why I'm not a big bread eater either.
2. I sometimes regret having gone to law school. The knowledge is great, but the education wasn't really cost effective - at least not for me, not yet.
3. This time of year, I secretly wish my parents were still together. It's a completely selfish wish, but aren't we all entitled to at least one of those?
4. I'm not good at maintaining friendships. I've met a number of people over the years that I enjoyed being around and considered a friend during the period of time that we were in the same geographic space. But after we parted ways, I didn't keep in contact. Well, neither did they, now that I think about it. I think about them a lot (HHS folks, Bradley house mates, LDFers, UB folks), but I'm just not good at keeping up with people. Thank goodness for Facebook!
5. I'm scared that I'll never get married and that I'll grow old alone.
6. I want to have kids, but I don't want the stretch marks.
7. I want to do something that will land me in Ebony or Jet magazine. Since I was a kid, I've longed to accomplish something that would put my name in bold print on the Jet "Tickertape" page. This is really about my desire to do something big in the world. I want to make systemic change. I want the world to be a better place because of the work I do.
8. I absolutely adore my dog. Check her out! http://thetildyspot.blogspot.com/
9. I am immensely proud of my sister. She teaches children with autism in SE Washington, DC and is working on her Masters at the same time. She graduates from GWU in the spring. Woohoo!
10. I was not a good student in college. I practically slid by. I had a lot of personal tragedies during my five, yes, five years there.
11. I am currently going through orthodontic care. I had braces in middle/high school, but somewhere during my many relocations, I lost my retainer. My teeth shifted, and I was not happy about that. Since my Dad is a dentist, I was a little embarrassed that my smile wasn't as nice as it could be. I am now wearing an invisilign type process. Almost done. Loving it!
12. I'm bored with my life. I'm trying to figure out what big and exciting thing I should do next. Any suggestions?
13. If there is more than one light switch on a panel, I will do whatever I have to to be sure that they are all in the same position. I have a panel in my living room with three switches on it, and I've determined that it's impossible for them to be in the same position. Drives me a little batty.
14. I am confident that one day I will win the Mega Millions. When I do, I will erase my law school debt, buy a house and a car, and then I'll take care of my family's debts too. That's my practical list. After that, I'll travel like crazy and buy a few things that I secretly covet.
15. I want to move back to Virginia - maybe even to Lynchburg. I miss my family and hate being so far away from everyone.
16. I've been told that I have selective memory. I wouldn't know. :)
17. I am fiercely loyal. It's hurt me in the past, but there must be some sort of genetic wiring that causes me to stay that way, even when it causes me to get burned.
18. I have learned that sometimes, being honest is not what your friends want or need from you. I have one friend that I know will always tell me the truth and I have promised the same to her. With everyone else, when I have to, I choose my words very carefully.
19. I have a thing for cartoons; specifically Looney Tunes shorts and Disney movies. I'm 35 years old and still watch Bugs Bunny cartoons (on dvd) on Saturday mornings and I have a nearly complete collection of Disney movies on dvd.
20. I'm a hopeless romantic. I was ruined by Disney movies, Gershwin tunes, and the belief that a/the man should treat me as well as my Dad.
21. I think I might be addicted to blogging. It's such a cool way to anonymously connect with people and I love to write. Blogging has become a great outlet for me to exercise my writing chops.
22. I have lots of great stories that involve famous people, but I'm always too self conscious to tell them.
23. I want to write a book and have it published.
24. I'm good at coming up with great ideas and never fully developing them. But I'm really good at encouraging people to develop their ideas.
25. I can't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that it's the little things in life that make us the happiest. I had a friend tell me the other day that he would be SO happy to get a Duncan Hines cake with chocolate icing for his birthday. How simple.

7 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

So much fun to learn more about you. You forgot to list that you're made of awesome but that's ok because I already knew that.

I also suck at friendships. I'm all about proximity and convenience and once I feel it's one-sided I assume my efforts are unwanted.

And I could so go for a slice of that cake...

jmt said...

6. You can have kids with no marks...cocoa butter. :) I've had two and no marks on my tummy at all. (I wasn't very diligent about putting the butter on my chest, however...so there are a couple there, but inconspicous)

I'd love to hear your famous people stories...and I share the book thing as well. :) Except THAT is what makes me self-conscious.

The Tildy Spot said...

Cate, thanks. :)

Tooj, I'm gonna hold you to that cocoa butter trick. That is, if and when I ever find a man that I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life with.

Maybe I'll put some of my famous people stories in the book I'm working on, but then again...

cw2smom said...

Hi, I am new here! Via Call Me Cate, I think! Nice to "meet" you! Yeah..you can do pregnant without stretch marks. I did! Well, except for the boobs. I think they stretched wayyyyyyyy too much. Imagine torpedos! LOL! Isn't friendship tough? I think it's really true that we can count true friends on one hand. If that! I try to remember that people come and go in my life for a reason. I learn and move on a bit easier if I remember that, rather than take it as another loss in my life. My last BFF just quit being my friend, without explanation. It ended about the time her son moved out of a rental house I owned. Never mix business and friendship I learned. It hurt like someone died. So, like Cate said...it was probably way one-sided and I didn't realize it. We see what we want to see, I think. Anyway...now that you kind of know some of my life story, geez, I wrote a book here! LOL, Blessings, Lisa

Anonymous said...

I hate when I feel like my life is in a 'funk'-good luck figuring out what to do next!

Anonymous said...

Have you ever tried ketchup in your mac and cheese? So good!!!

cw2smom said...

I wanted to share a great blog with you that I follow...she's a lawyer too!

http://theexaminedlife-sheria.blogspot.com/2008/12/things-that-make-you-go-wtf.html

Tell her I sent you! Blessings, Lisa