Friday, December 12, 2008

Why Can't I Get It Right?

Today, there's no set up. I'm going straight to the rant.

Money depresses me. I never have enough of it, which doesn't make sense to me because I have a good job with decent pay. It's as if I can't add and subtract or something. Maybe it's the crazy bank timing that throws me off. Maybe it's simply that I don't make enough to make ends meet. Whatever the reason, it seems like I'm constantly overdrawn. Today was payday; a day I look forward to because it offers me a little relief. The middle of the month payday is best because it's not completely devoted to my rent or bills. There's a little wiggle room. Nothing major. Just enough so that I don't have to count pennies or eat Ramen. But this time I don't have that. "My back is so far back it's on the other side of the wall." (Prince lyric reference, for those that aren't true fans.) Once my necessary bills are paid, I'll be lucky to have fifty bucks leftover for the next two weeks. And I haven't gotten my parents anything for Christmas yet.

I'm sick of Ramen.

Thank you for your attention. Please return to your holiday cheer.

4 comments:

Call Me Cate said...

I totally fail at math. My answer was to get married - my husband is brilliant at managing money. I think I could manage to pay most of the bills on time if I had control of the banking but we'd never get ahead anywhere.

Marriage is kind of an extreme solution though to your issue though. Besides, he comes with other issues like snoring and using the last of the toothpaste without telling me.

I think this time of year magnifies money issues so much more than usual. More places to spend it, more places you want to spend it, prices are up and the constant message is to "buy buy buy"... Hang in there!

jmt said...

I am sorry that you are feeling a "crunch" but crazy as it sounds, I'm happy to read this. It means I'm not alone. I haven't bought my parents anything, and I have no money either. :( We'll find a way out.

The Tildy Spot said...

Cate, marriage is the extreme solution, but two incomes are certainly better than one.

Tooj, I'm glad to know I'm not alone.

Thanks for the comments!

OUAIT said...

HA! I just bought my first ramen since the early 90s! Marriage can help - but divorce is a scary and expensive endeavor.... I have more checks out than my account has in it right now -- I have never done this before. A bit anxious to say the least.