Monday, December 8, 2008

It Ain't Too Hard For Me To Jam

My Dad is always good for giving me an analysis with a musical twist. Case in point. I had very trying day at work today. I was denied a professional courtesy that I've seen extended to my colleagues time after time. Since this is the first time I asked for such a courtesy, I knew that it would be extended to me, but it was not. I was mortified. I felt that I had been kicked in the gut. I couldn't catch my breath and was fighting back tears. I lost that fight.

After consulting with my bestest sistahgurlfriend, I decided to call The Person That Calls The Shots (TPTCTS) and ask why I was denied. I was stern in my tone and direct with my question. I think I caught TPTCTS off guard because he began to stutter a bit. He passed the blame to someone else, and so, of course, I called that person, and after about ten minutes, I guided her to the conclusion that I wanted her to reach. I got what I wanted, but it was not without some serious stress that I'm sure sent my blood pressure up quite a few points.

So back to my Dad. When I called him to tell him about this, he went into analysis mode, as he always does (which is the sole reason I call him with stuff like this). He always wants to be sure that I see what is really happening beneath the surface, so he tears situations apart and explains what each action/word/silence really means. Today, after his anaylsis, he analogized the situation to a basketball fast break. One person throws the ball to another, then that person throws it back, and the the first person drives it down the center and jams it in the basket. He said they were trying to pull a fast break on me today, but I slapped it down before it went into the goal. Sometimes you have to go up and take the ball and jam it on them before they can jam it on you, he said. Dad and I tend to analogize everything to something else. Don't know where that came from, but we've been doing it as long as I can remember and it makes life easier to understand.

Now, you must understand that for Dad and I, there is a applicable song lyric for almost everything that happens in life. Today's lyric was from Michael Jackson's "Jam" - "It ain't too hard for me to jam!".

Here's the rant: Not really a rant, but the song is stuck in my head. I've got a new theme song for the next couple of days. Thanks, Dad. :)

5 comments:

jmt said...

I don't see why it's so darn difficult for those in charge to keep "courtesies" even across the board. Really, it can't be that darn tough! I need to be in charge...you and I...we should be in charge.

Call Me Cate said...

Sorry such a rough day but glad you got what you were entitled to at the end of the day. Seems very few bosses are capable of being fair - I'm on the losing end at my office as well.

Yay for your dad though. It must be great to have someone to help make sense of it all like that. Especially since you two seem to speak the same language.

MBB Founder and Editor Denene Millner said...

Don't you just LOVE daddies?! The just know every doggone thing, and make it all better every time. I'm glad yours is in your life, and that he can explain basketball fast breaks to you in a way that make you understand the madness. Jam!

(Oh, and don't forget Guy's JAM... jam, oh jam! Jam! Teddy Jam for me!!!)

Fiduciary said...

That's right Sha! It ain't too hard for me to jam! I love it! Oh yeah, I am so proud of you. Don't stop. Ok?

The Tildy Spot said...

I absolutely love my Dad. I should do a series of posts on him. Thank y'all for the comment love!